How to get to VHN 2018 at the Royal Irish Academy
The Royal Irish Academy is located at:
Academy House, 19 Dawson Street, Dublin 2, D02 HH58
Ph: +353 1 6090600
- By DART – Pearse Station is a ten minute walk from the Academy. For further information see http://www.iarnrodeireann.ie/dart/home
- By Bus to St Stephens Green, Dawson Street or Nassau Street – Five minutes walk to the Academy. Pre-paid tickets can be bought at many newsagents that will allow unlimited travel on all Dublin bus services. For further information on pre-paid tickets see Leap Card. Dublin bus operates an ‘exact change only’ method of paying for fares. Fare information can be found on the Dublin bus website. For information see http://www.dublinbus.ie
- By Luas to Dawson Street- two minutes walk from the Academy. For further information see http://www.luas.ie
- Taxi: Download the MyTaxi app onto your smartphone as it can make getting a taxi easier. Taxis can also be hailed from anywhere on the street.
- The Aircoach service, which leaves every fifteen minutes from Dublin Airport, stops outside Trinity College on Grafton Street. This is a 5 minute walk from Academy House. The Aircoach service to Dublin Airport stops outside Thomas Pink Shirt Shop at the top of Dawson Street (St Stephen’s Green end). Allow an hour for your journey. For further information see http://www.aircoach.ie
Getting to UCD and the UCD Humanities Institute
Here’s a fun video to help you get oriented to the UCD campus! We take you from the front gate all the way across campus to the Humanities Institute. Don’t forget to check out the nesting mute swans on the pond, and watch for baby ducks on your way in to the Institute.
UCD campus is situated twenty minutes from the city Centre.
The UCD Humanities Institute is building number 30, grid reference F9, on the UCD Campus Map which can be found at http://map.ucdestates.ie/
Dublin Bus provides a range of services to and from the Belfield campus. Dublin Bus numbers 11, 17, 39A, 46A, 84 and 145 all provide services to the Belfield campus. The 39A terminates within the Belfield campus, and can boarded on Nassau Street in the City Centre. The numbers 145 and 46A can also be boarded on Nassau Street but the stop is outside the campus (see map). For more information, visit www.dublinbus.ie
Aircoach operates a bus service from Dublin Airport to Leopardstown/Sandyford/Stillorgan which passes UCD. The Aircoach bus stop is located just outside the main N11 (Stillorgan Road) entrance.
There are usually an adequate number of taxis in operation in the city centre at any given time. It is possible to hail a taxi from the street, but convenient taxi ranks are located on Cathedral Street, College Green and St Stephens Green. It is also possible to use an App such as MyTaxi. The designated taxi pick up/drop off location is beside the AIB Bank on UCD Campus. The fare to/from the city centre is c.€15
The nearest Dart Station to UCD is Sydney Parade (25minute walk) and the university provides a shuttle bus which departs at set times and costs €1 each way.
Monday – Friday
Departing Dart station (Sydney Parade):
Please note that parking on the Belfield campus is extremely busy.
Parking in all main car parks on the UCD Campus is for permit-holding staff and students only. The nearest visitor car park to the Humanities Institute is located to the left of the traffic lights entering at the bottom of the road form the Owenstown Gate (see map). Parking is charged at €1 per hour capped at €3 per day. For further information and a map of visitor car parks please visit: http://ucdestates.ie/commuting/getting-here/driving/parking/parking-for-visitors/
NB: There are traffic-calming barriers in place in UCD from 7am – 10.30am and from 4pm – 7pm. These barriers restrict access around the campus. It is best to use either the Owenstown Entrance (Foster’s Avenue) during these times.